Finding the perfect dress pattern.

It isn't easy. I know, I have tried.  I have so many beautiful patterns for dresses in my sewing room, but actually finding the exact one that I both like and expect to look half presentable wearing can be tricky.  



The problem starts, I must be honest when I say this, when I look at myself.  I am not slim.  I am a size 14 and struggle to find tops that fit.  I hate my arms and I have belly. It's not a great start is it? But I do love dresses and more importantly I love sewing dresses.  So I keep looking......


The dress I have decided to sew next is the Heron Dress by The Sewing Revival purchased via The Fold Line.  I actually can't wait to try it because it looks quite straightforward to sew but cleverly uses elastic to help with fit. 

Lovely Heron Dress can be found here.

I have tried many patterns and had some successes but I am sorry to say the biggest failure I had when choosing a dress pattern was the Cocoon Dress by Simple Sew. Oh my God, I so wanted that dress to look good on me, but it really made me look so round and frumpy and immediately reminded me of being in hospital when I was waiting for surgery. I had to put on a shapeless gown that fell just above the knee.  That's what the Cocoon Dress looked like on me. You would think I had learnt my lesson, but no, I thought to myself. Perhaps the problem isn't the billowing nature of the dress that turned my shoulder shape into something resembling a wrestler on TV, perhaps it was my poor choice of fabric.  So I made a second one, reduced the size considerably and ploughed on.  Upon completion, I HAD learned my lesson.  The dress wasn't for me. It was definitely hospital gown - esque and I now use dress number 2 as a nighty.  I was devastated, because I love the look of the dress and most times I see it made up (usually photos posted on FB) I am insanely jealous. But I know my body just isn't suited to this dress.  I now have to retrain my mind not to even contemplate making Cocoon style dresses. 



Inevitably I have been trying to self draft a dress to meet my criteria.  So I chose blue flowery fabric, don't have to worry too much about pattern matching, three quarter sleeves, darts at back for a little shaping, round neck and button and hoop (proper name escapes me) on the back.  It's perfectly fine if a little ordinary. I may wear it to work - not decided yet?


These photos aren't getting any better.



Edit: I found a fab blog, with a recent post about the Cocoon dress and an inspired pattern hack. Perhaps all is not lost.  Cocoon pattern hack and great blog from Susan Young Sewing.








Comments

Popular Posts