Masks!





I have finally got round to making some masks from my stash of cotton fabrics. In Wales the rules have changed this week making it mandatory to wear a facemask in an indoor public space.  Some people think it is long overdue, others see it as a sign that we may well be having a second wave as the Welsh Senedd haven't felt the need to enforce the facemask issue before now. But I think local lockdowns are becoming the norm and facemasks may play a part in reducing the frequency of them. I hope so. So many people do not want to go back to how we were in March. 

Facemasks aren't expensive to buy and by their very nature disposable, which isn't great for the environment. Covid litter is becoming a thing with abandoned facemasks and latex gloves ending up on pavements and hedgerows (even my front garden!).  Therefore we should be using facemasks that can be reused, washed and looked after rather than the cheap imported ones from half way around the world.  

I looked at many patterns online and liked the look of the Burda facemask and will plan to give it a try over the weekend, but I ended up using Patrick Grant's video for inspiration. (Patrick Grant, judge on the TV show The Great British Sewing Bee).  It was simple, easy to follow and quick to watch.  Who needs a 15 minute video on making a facemask? 


Watch it here: 


I enjoyed making the facemasks despite the fact that the reason we are wearing them is pretty depressing.  I had some cottons that I felt would be suitable, some from Aldi from when they were selling fat quarters.  Elastic is always in my stash so that wasn't an issue and I started sewing on Saturday afternoon. I had orders from family members by Sunday and even made a matching pouch to put said facemasks in when being carried in your voluminous handbag!  


Many shades of blue, reassuringly medical.  


Mini mask bag.

Stay safe!








Comments

Popular Posts