What sewing machine do you use?

What sewing machine do you use?


What do you use?  And why do you use the machine that you do?  Is it a question of cost or maybe you have inherited a machine from someone?  When I was 16 my Mum bought a Singer Samba. It was really a machine for her - but I soon became the sole user of the machine and it travelled with me when I went off to do my degree, sitting on my desk (supposed to be used for study) in the halls of residence. I loved that machine, I felt confident using it and knew it inside and out. Rarely needing maintenance other than a de-fluffing, it did visit the local Singer shop and have a service, but it just kept chugging along, faithfully hemming and buttonholing.  I made my first ballgown using that machine, completed my work for my 'O' Level in Textiles and Design, Halloween costumes, leggings, duvet covers, a tent (!), clothes for my first job because I couldn't afford to buy any and even made car seat covers for my little Honda!  Like I said, it kept chugging along.  When it gave up the ghost after more than 20 years I did cry! I initially looked for another but of course the machines had come on a lot since them. But having been so very happy with my Singer I naturally thought I would get another.  So I did!

Along came the Singer Confidence. The best thing about it was the colour. A kind of sage green.  I was bitterly disappointed.  I never loved it. And I really tried, but it just wasn't a Samba.  So when it had to go away for a month to get fixed for something seemingly inconsequential I knew that the love affair with Singer had ended.  

Searching for a new machine was hard because the only thing I knew is that I didn't want another Singer.  Money played a part and I set myself a budget of £600 max.  I didn't want to spend quite that much but I knew that a decent machine wasn't going to be cheap.  After a lot of thinking I decided on a Brother machine - an A150.  People told me how good they were, how parts were easy to come by and how good value they were. Also I got a deal with some freebies thrown in - I wanted a walking foot and was prepared to buy one but found out that one was part of the bundle.  Happy Days. I have lived with my machine now for 18 months and love it. Really happy.  I still somehow miss the Samba, but this machine makes me smile (and sew).  



Comments

Popular Posts